You have to take all your medication according to the instruction of your doctors. The content in this article is for acknowledgment purposes only. Now, can I take omeprazole at night? Find your answer in this article
- Omeprazole belongs to a group of medications called proton pump inhibitors (PPI).
- They are used to decrease gastric acid secretion. Used in the treatment of stomach and esophageal problems. Relive your symptoms of heartburn.
- It is available as a capsule, tablet, delayed-released tablets/capsules, and liquid (oral suspension) dosage forms.
- in case you have difficulty swallowing capsules, you could empty this capsule in water or juice and drink it immediately in the liquid form.
Now, Can I take omeprazole at night?
- Usually, you take omeprazole once daily.
- It is preferred to start your day with your dose. However, if your doctor ordered you omeprazole twice daily, you have to take one dose before breakfast and the next dose before bed.
- You should take omeprazole capsules and delayed-release tablets before meals. Preferably in the morning before breakfast.
A study published in the National Library of Medicine examined the difference in the therapeutic efficacy of omeprazole 40 between night and morning doses.
- This study showed that
- After the morning dose, the 7 hours work daypart the gastric pH was 0.72 higher than the night dose.
- After the night dose, the gastric pH during the supine period was 0.62 higher than after the morning dose
Omeprazole is better to be taken before a meal than without a meal:
- A study showed that
- When omeprazole was taken with breakfast, the gastric pH was less than 4 for a longer time (double the time) than what was recorded when omeprazole was taken without a meal.
- Omeprazole may take one week to improve your symptoms. You could take an antacid with omeprazole to relieve your stomach pain till omeprazole give its effect.
- The dose and length of the treatment period depend on your health condition.
- Ask your doctor about your treatment course.
- In case you are taking this medication over-the-counter without counseling your doctor, don’t take it for more than 2 weeks (only 14 days) unless you are directed by your doctor.
You may need omeprazole for the following cases:
- Relive symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Improve gastric pain from gastritis.
- Relive symptoms of heartburn.
- Treatment of gastric ulcer from H. pylori (take omeprazole with antibiotics).
- For the treatment of Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.
Omeprazole side effects:
Omeprazole could lead to certain side effects including:
- Omeprazole is commonly prescribed once daily.
- It is advised to take omeprazole just before your breakfast.
- In case your doctor prescribed omeprazole twice daily, you have to take one dose before breakfast and the other dose before bed.
Read more about